When: Tuesday 29th August – Friday 1st September
Time: 10am – 3pm
Who: Open to all young people aged 11 upwards
Venue: Histon Baptist Church
Cost: £40 per person for all 4 days!
Deadline for booking: Monday 10th July
A 4-day drama project to research, devise and rehearse a short performance centred on mental health and well-being in young people. This performance will then produce a film to be shared with audiences of other young people in and around the area during October – to coincide with Mental Wellbeing Week 9-13th October 2017
Project Leader – Rachel Denning
I am a professional actor who has worked in the industry for 9 years – I have worked extensively in Theatre and Television – credits include; The Vote, Call the Midwife, Doctor Who. I am also a youth worker and have worked with the Cambridgeshire Youth Service since 2010. Drama Joint is my company that joins drama and young people. I will be delivering this workshop – but I also have a team of professional associates who will be contributing to plans.
The project is open for up to 15 participants who are interested in drama and the subject matter. You will work together for 4 days using professional theatre techniques to develop a piece of drama which will then be shared with audiences in October. The project will follow a vague structure of:
- Introduction to each other and to the project
- Introduction to acting and story- telling skills.
- Research and sharing of mental health issues affecting young people in our area
- Through improvisation and devising techniques – mould our research into stories and drama.
- From the stories that are devised as a group, a short script will be written – and then performed and filmed.
Mental Health and young people is an ongoing issue – with cuts being made and statistics on the rise. 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health issue each year. All of us have come into contact with mental health in our lives. It is something that affects us all. This course will help raise awareness and encourage conversation.
The participants of this project will:
- Increase self confidence
- Increase confidence within a group
- Will feel empowered
- Will learn new skills
- Will have the chance to discuss the subject matter
- Will have the chance to share stories around mental health
- Might even be introduced to a new career idea.
The Audience of this project will:
- Be encouraged to talk about the subject of mental health
- Will hear stories from other YP about mental health and may realise that they are not ‘The only one’
- Have a greater understanding of how mental health can affect young people.
- May be encouraged to take part in future, similar projects
Interested? What to do next …
Complete the attached registration form and return it to Andrea Cowley at the address given, along with your payment. First come, first served.
You will then receive a confirmation email with further details and introduction to the rest of the group.