It was only a week or so ago when we were being told that life would be close to normal by Xmas. I think we all know now that we’re only half way there and that we need to work hard to ensure that the (relative) freedoms that we now enjoy can be maintained and improved. We benefit from having such a choice of shops and pubs in our community and we must respect what they do to be able to open but at the same time to keep their staff and their customers safe. It may sometimes seem that they are being too fussy.
They’re not and we should appreciate that. Iit’s just them doing their best to do the right thing.
Meanwhile out there in the community:
- Fancy a game of snooker? The British Legion is open for business and that includes its snooker table. Seems like the perfect socially distanced sport.
- There’s a more normal level of business at the Histon Barber and it’s now open for walk-in customers.
- Next week is ‘eat out to help out’ week and most of our pubs are participating in some way or another. Check out the Railway Vue, the Rose & Crown (not Monday) and the Red Lion (Wednesday only). The Phoenix says it’s doing its ‘own version’
- For young readers the ‘summer reading challenge’ is online this year. There’s more information at https://summerreadingchallenge.org.uk/
- It may seem like bad news but in fact it’s a positive: the Covid response team is scaling back the helpline support. It’s still there but it’s needed less and that’s good news.
At the Parish Council last month it was decided to make funding available for organisations which are having difficulty because of the virus. There are criteria of course but the process is fairly simple. For more information contact the clerk on 01223 235906.
And finally: just to remind ourselves that (a) we live in a blessed low infection part of the country but that (b) it’s not quite over yet check out the stats below from Public Health. We’ve had a mini-spike in South Cambs. Fingers crossed it is just that but in the meantime let’s remember to wear face coverings, to wash our hands and to socially distance.
|South Cambs total||1 Jun||8 Jun||15 Jun||22 Jun||29 Jun||6 Jul||13 Jul||20 Jul|
|Confirmed positive cases||12||2||0||0||4||9||12||5|
|Covid related deaths||1||3||2||1||0||0||0||0|
Click here to download a pdf of this digest.