A HISTORY OF THE PARISH
THE PARISH CHURCH
This History and Guide Book is not the result of the labours of one single
person. The compiler has found his work comparatively light because of the diligent
care and work of those connected with Impington Church in past years, and through
the ready help and co-operation of those to whom he has applied for assistance
in the present.
We owe to the Rev. Dennis Hall, Vicar of Impington (1882-1916), the transcript
of all our old registers and the rediscovery and preservation of an interesting
three-volume edition of Fox's Acts and Monuments. It is, however, to Mr.
W. F. Robinson that we owe the deepest debt of gratitude. Without his devoted
work over the past many years in collecting, from every source, items of historical
interest relating to Impington, without his zealous guardianship of parish documents,
this compilation would have been the work of years instead of months.
The excellent photographs, both new and copied from old originals, are the
work of Dr. Stanley Unwin Muncey. We are fortunate in having in our parish a first-class
Acknowledgement is also gratefully made for the help given by Mr. P. G. Bales,
County Archivist, Dr. G. H. S. Bushnell of the Department of Archaeology and Ethnology
at Cambridge, Mr. E. A. B. Barnard, Keeper of the Bishop's Muniments, Rev. Canon
F. J. Bywaters, and Christ's College, Cambridge, for permission to consult documents
in their possession, and many other kind friends.
A publication of this kind means expense and we are most grateful to those
who have advertised in this booklet: Messrs. W. J. Unwin, Messrs. F. L. Unwin,
W. Eaden Lilley & Co., Pye Ltd., Cambridge, Millers & Sons, and to Messrs.
Chivers & Sons for their great help.
1951 sees the Jubilee of our Parish Magazine and the completion of nearly
one thousand years of known parish history. It is a privilege to be the recorder
of this history and I hope that this booklet will be found worthy of the past
and an inspiration for the present and future.
Impington Vicarage, 1951. Editor.
BRITHNOTH'S PRAYER AT THE BATTLE OF MALDON, A.D. 991
To Thee give I thanks Thou Lord of all living
For all good hap in this life here.
Sore need I now, O Maker mild,
That Thou shouldst grant my spirit grace,
That my soul to Thee may depart in peace.
A History of the Parish and the Parish Church
The earliest known part to be inhabited of what is now the parish of Impington
is in the extreme south near the junction of Cambridge Road with Arbury Road.
Here, there are still identifiable remains of a large ancient encampment. It was
long thought to be of Roman origin but, though indications of Roman occupation
were present, later archaeologists incline to the idea that it was a British work
of fortification taken over by the Romans during their occupation of Britain.
The Mereway in Impington has frequently been referred to as an old Roman road.
If this identification is correct it would be one more indication of Roman interest
in this part of the country bordering on the fenlands. It was, however, several
centuries later that the district received the name which was to develop into
the present name of the parish - Impington.
The name of the parish has varied considerably during the centuries. It has
been said that the name originated from a Saxon tribe, the Empings, which settled
in the district about the sixth century, and that Impington means the town of
the Empings. The original name is perfectly preserved in Empingham, a village
in Rutlandshire. The development of the name to its present form can be seen from
its appearance at various dates: 1066, EPINTONE; 1082, EMPINTON; 1199, YMPITON;
120l, IMPINTON; 1269, HINPINTON; 1272, IMPYNTON. The spelling varied between these
forms until it finally settled down into the form we know.
Impington has never been a very populous place, but the population figures
show that it was by no means unimportant in early days. The Black Death, which
wiped out so many villages during the fourteenth century, halved the population
of the village and it did not recover until well on in the seventeenth century.
The migration of population from the country to the town in the late eighteenth
and early nineteenth centuries also had an adverse effect upon the population.
These were the population figures derived from various sources - Domesday Book,
1085 - 143; 1327 - 192; 1377 (following the Black Death) - 76; 1563 - 70; 1664
- 195; Census of 1801 - 92; Census of 1871 - 387; Census of 1931 - 1,071. The
present population in 1951 may well be double this.
Almost the earliest mention we have of the parish by its name is in the year
991. Duke Brithnoth, a large landowner in the country, was killed at the Battle
of Maldon, in Essex, in that year. On his way to the battle against the invading
Danes, he was entertained by the Abbot of Ely, and he requited his hospitality
by bestowing upon him a number of manors in the country - amongst these was the
manor of Impington.
At the time of the Norman Conquest and the Domesday Book, 1085, Impington
belonged to the Church at Ely, but about that time Picot, the Norman sheriff of
Cambridge, became the largest landowner in the district, it is said, by robbing
the monks of Ely. It would appear, however, that Picot had to disgorge some of
his ill-gotten gains from the reference in the following legal document.
"1082. Writ of William I to Archbishop Lanfranc and Geoffrey bishop of Coutanes
to cause the abbot of Ely to be reseised of 3 hides (of land) in Empinton held
by Picot the sheriff."
The Domesday Book vouches for the fact that Impington Manor does belong and
always has belonged to the Church at Ely.
The Domesday Book records the following relating to Impington.
Land of the Abbot of Ely.
MANERIUM. Epintone pro vj hidis et dimidia se defendit. Terra est vj carrucis.
In dominio iij hidae et dimidia, et ibi est dimidia carruca, et j carruca et dimidia
potest fieri. Ibi j villanus et vij bordarii cum ij carrucis et ij possunt fieri.
Ibi vij cotarii et j servus. Pratum ij carrucis. Valet et valuit xl solidos: Tempore
Regis Edwardi, viij libras. Hoc manerium iacet et iacuit semper in dominio ecclesiae
MANOR. Epintone (Impington) answers for six hides and a half. There is land
to six ploughs. Three hides and a half are in the demesne, and there is half a
plough there, and one plough and a half may be made. There is one villane and
seven borders with two ploughs, and two may be made. There are seven cottagers,
and one bondman; meadow for two ploughs. It is and was worth forty shillings;
in the time of King Edward eight pounds. This manor lies, and always laid, in
the demesne of the Church of Ely.
Land of Picot, sheriff of Cambridge.
In Epintone tenet Walterus de Picot iij hides et dimidiam. Terra est iij carrucis
et ibi sunt, cum iiij bordariis et iiij cotariis. Pratum j carrucae. Inter totum
valet lx solidos; quando recepit, l solidos; Tempore Regis Edwardi, iiij libras.
Hanc terram tenuerunt iij sochemanni abbatis de Ely. Horum ij habuerunt j hidam
et j virgatam; vendere potuerunt, sed soca abbati remansit. Tercius vero ij hides
et j virgatam habuit, sed vendere non potuit.
Walter holds of Picot three hides and a half in Epintone (Impington). There
is land to three ploughs, and they are there with four borders and four cottagers;
meadow for one plough. In the whole it is worth sixty shillings; when received,
fifty shillings; in the time of King Edward, four pounds. Three sokemen held this
land of the Abbot of Ely. Two of these had one virgate and a half; they might
sell it, but the soke remained to the Abbot. But the third had two hides and one
virgate; but he could not sell it
DOMESDAY BOOK LAND MEASURES
1 hide = 4 virgates = 120 acres.
A "plough" = a plough team of eight oxen.
Area of Impington - 10 hides.
By the end of the twelfth century the manor had come into the possession of
the great de Insula or de Lisle family (a wall tomb with a large recumbent effigy,
said to be a de Lisle, can be seen in the chancel of Rampton Church). They did
not retain for long the possession of the manor, for in 1269, Simon de Insula
sold Impington to pay off a debt which he owed to the Jews. After passing through
the hands of the Chauvent and Colville families, the manor came into the possession
of the Burgoynes in 1428. In 1300, a market at Impington on Thursdays, and a fair
for eight days to begin on the Saturday in Easter week, were granted to Peter
de Chauvent by Edward I. There may be some connection between this and the visit
of that King to Impington two years earlier, as recorded later in these notes.
When John Burgoyne (whose memorial brass is in the Church) died in 1505, he left
his land in Impington to his daughters. The land appears to have been divided
into two parts and sold by them or their heirs. At any rate, Christ's College
had, by 1568, purchased the Manor of Burgoyne, and by 1579, John Pepys, a member
of an ancient yeoman family of Cottenham, was in possession of the other part,
called Ferme-part, and had commenced the building of Impington Hall. The Pepys
family remained there until the beginning of the nineteenth century. lmpington
Hall was not completed at the time of the death of John Pepys, but he left instructions
with his executors concerning the exact way in which the work was to be completed.
The Manor of Burgoyne continued in the possession of Christ's College. The
Manor Court Rolls from the twenty-third year of Queen Elizabeth are still in the
Muniment room of the College. One of these rolls, dated 1597, containing two conveyances
of land, describes the Court proceedings in the presence of Dr. Lewyn and a jury
of local inhabitants. Dr. Lewyn was Master of Christ's College at that time and
it is possible that the present name of Doctor's Close in the village recalls
the title of this Lord of the Manor. There is another Court roll preserved in
Cambridge University Library which contains this preamble. "The Manor of Burgoines
in Impington in the County of Cambridge. The General Court Baron and Customary
Court of the Rt. Revd. Father in God, John, Lord Bishop of Bristol, Master or
Keeper of Christ's College in the University of Cambridge and the Fellows and
Scholars of the same College, Lords of the said Manor holden at the Manor House
in and for the said Manor on Monday the sixth day of December in the Fifth year
of the Reign of King George the Fourth and in the year of our Lord one thousand
eight hundred and twenty four etc." Christ's College disposed of their land in
the parish at the beginning of the present century.
As has been stated the other half of the Burgoyne estate, called Ferme-part,
was now owned by the Pepys family. Whether this part also constituted a manor
cannot be definitely decided on present evidence, though there is the possibility
that it did. The manuscript of the Rev. William Cole, Rector of Milton, and a
celebrated antiquarian of the eighteenth century, quotes authority for the fact
that there were two manors in Impington, one called Champnett's Manor and the
other Colvyle's or Burgoyne's Manor. Cole gives this description of Champnett's
Manor: ". . . acres of land and meadows and payeth the said Simon (de Insula yearly
22d. and he hath one garden containing 3 acres with the whole court and he hath
one Mill valued 20s. etc." Cole also quotes: "By the general Inquisition of Edward
II, the Bishop of Ely and this John de Chavelot or Champnet were found Lords of
the village." Lyson, in his work Magna Britannia, speaks of "the manors
of Burgoyne's and Ferme-part." That was in 1808. Undoubtedly two manors did exist.
Burgoyne's certainly passed to Christ's College, and Impington Hall estate, originally
Ferme-part, may be the successor of the Champnett's manor.
Apart from the manorial history, little is known of the affairs of Impington
parish during this period, and there is little to be learnt about the church.
There is a list of Vicars dating from 1247. The living could not, even in those
days, be termed a wealthy one. Of Robert Say, who was Chaplain for only one year
(1392 - 93), it is recorded that he resigned because of the poverty of the living.
The value of the benefice in 1291 was £21 6s. 8d.; in 1334 it was £3
10s. 0d. and in 1538 it was £8 7s. 0d.
We learn that during this period Impington had a royal visit. Edward I visited
Impington on Monday, 5th May, 1298. The reason of the visit is, however, unfortunately
Impington Church. Before Restoration, circa 1870.
Impington Hall, 1950.
It was the usual practice in the Middle Ages for anyone who committed a crime
to escape arrest by seeking sanctuary in a church. If they promised to give up
everything they possessed and to leave the country immediately, they were allowed
to go free. We have a record of this custom in our neighbourhood. "Histon 1299.
Roger le Gray of Histon broke into the house of Henry Cloche in Impington and
fled immediately to Histon Church and abjured. No chattels as he was a stranger."
To abjure meant that he consented to leave the country, but the authorities did
not gain anything by the confiscation of his belongings as he had no "chattels."
In a document relating to monies raised from the Cambridgeshire villages in
1316 for the Scottish War, we can read of Impington's share in this assessment.
"Inquisition taken at Cambridge August 9th 1316 before Adam de Lymbergh on Thursday
the morrow of St Andrew the Apostle in the 2nd year of Edward II. Item - that
from the village of Impeton was levied 34 shillings which was paid to collectors
for wages and expenses, and in the purchase of one aketon 6s.
one bacinet* 17d. one sword with knife 2s. one denyses
6d. which are in the hands of Robert le Marsh and Thomas Cassander, constables."
† Aketon - a wool-padded garment covering from neck to knees. It was worn underneath
* Bacinet - a basin-shaped head-covering of metal with a movable covering for
‡ Denyses - a weapon of some sort usually costing 6d.
Some further extracts from ancient documents of this period may be of interest.
IMPINGTON. "There was a gild here and in 1571 eight acres of land called the
Townland in the tenure of Robert Raye were sold to Hill and James. The Gild Hall
was sold to other men." And in 1569, "17 acres of land in the same place also
in the tenure of Robert Raye, given by Mr. Munnsey for an obit in Impington Church
were sold to James and Grey." The gilds were of two kinds. One was a gild of craftsmen
and the other was a social gild, with much the same purpose as a modern Friendly
Both had a strong religious basis. The gild at Impington, which was dedicated
to the Resurrection, was most probably of the social kind. An obit was land given
to the Church to provide for a tiny lamp to be kept continually burning in the
church and for prayer to be offered for special purposes.
In 1599, in the parish church of Great St. Mary, Cambridge, the following
inhabitants of Impington were brought before the court. (1) "Thomas Borne for
non-cohabitation with his wife." (2) "Thomas Peapes and his wife for not receiving
the Communion at Easter last."
A piece of building actually took place at this time to which we can give
a precise date, and that is the churchyard wall. Still visible in the brickwork
of the wall are some letters and numbers. Through decay and repair they are now
difficult to decipher, but the inscription originally ran:
1613 T.H. C.D. C.W.
The Rev. Dennis Hall, in 1900, through research in the Bishop's Muniments
room at Ely, discovered on some small strips of parchment details relating to
the annual returns of the Vicar and Churchwardens. In that year, 1613, Thomas
Hodilow and Charles Duckett were churchwardens. Thus the wall records the fact
that it was built while these men, whose initials are upon it, held that office.
And lastly, on 9th June, 1632, we have this burial notice: "John ffenne the
famous clarke of Impington for his unparallede antiquity."
The representative, at the time of the Commonwealth (1649 - 59),
of the Pepys family at Impington was Talbot Pepys. He was uncle of Samuel Pepys,
the diarist. He was Recorder of Cambridge from 1624, and Member of Parliament
for Cambridge in 1625. Though the Vicar of the parish was not ejected during this
time, he seems to have lost the right of keeping the parish registers. This became
a civil function, as can be seen in the paragraph dealing with our parish registers.
Talbot Pepys appointed a registrar in 1653, but personally signed the marriage
certificates of that time. Amongst these entries there are not only the marriages
of Impington residents, but also of those belonging to the surrounding district.
In 1657, a couple from Willingham were married, and a couple from Cottenham. Also
in that year there is recorded in the Impington register the marriage of a man
from Horningsea and a woman from Fenditton. During six years Talbot Pepys authorised
forty-five of these civil weddings. He steered his way carefully during the Civil
War and Protectorate and was still Recorder of Cambridge at the Restoration in
1660, when he resigned in favour of his son. He died, aged 84, in 1665.
From 1660 to the Present Day.
In 1660 came the end of the Protectorate of Cromwell and the restoration of
King Charles II. This event did not mean so much to the incumbent of Impington,
Thomas Wyborow, as it did to many other incumbents throughout England who, at
the beginning of the Cromwell regime, had been dispossessed of their livings.
Thomas Wyborow was one of those who held his living before, during and after the
Protectorate. He died in 1669, and was buried in the chancel where a slab describes
his life and ministry.
Thomas Wiborow Vir Pius et Doctus huius Ecclesiae Vicarius et Privatae Scholae
Moderator. Postquam per multos Annos utramque spartam Egregie adornasset tandem
diuturnis confectus curis et laboribus mortemque anhelans, Jesu Amori suo animam
Huic Sacrario ossa pientissime commendavit.
Anno Dñi 1669 Sept 7°
"Thomas Wiborow a pious and learned man, Vicar of this church and master of
a private school, after he had for many years adorned each post with great distinction,
at last exhausted by his prolonged anxieties and labours and eagerly desiring
death commended his soul to his beloved Jesus, and his bones to this sanctuary
with the greatest devotion."
In 1666, while he was still Vicar, the churchwardens sent this reply in answer
to questions put in the Bishop's Visitation of that year. It gives us a picture
of our church at that period: "We have a parish church and chancel standing and
in use. We have a bible of the largest volume, a book of Common Prayer, a book
of Homilies. . . . We have a font of stone fastened in the usual place, whole
and clean, a decent communion table and a carpet of silk, a fair linen cloth laid
at the administering of the sacrament, the table ordinarily standeth, the end
thereof being placed North and South at the east end of the chancel. We have not
any steps to it or rails about it. We have one convenient seat, in which both
divine service is read and sermon preached, which was seen and approved by the
Chancellor last summer. We have a decent cushion, a large surplice and a hood
and have had them about 5 or 6 years. We have a flagon of pewter and a communion
cup and cover of silver and other ornaments necessary for divine service. We have
a poor man's box and a chest for the keeping of the books, communion vessels,
etc., and they are kept in the chancel. We have a register book of parchment and
a paper book for strange preachers. We have neither vestry nor vicarage house
nor almshouses. There are no arms for soldiers in the church nor are plays feasts
leets or musters in the churchyard. Men and women do not sit promiscuously together
in church, there are no seats at the east end of the chancel, there are no galleries,
no tombs no dusty garlens in the church, no gravestones in the churchyard. There
are inscriptions in brass upon some gravestones defaced before our time. Our minister
is Mr. Thomas Wibrowe, he is an M.A. of Cambridge and liveth here although he
hath no house to dwell in belonging to his vicarage nor any ground on which to
erect a house. He is a licensed preacher constant in preaching in priest's gown,
surplice and hood. He hath no other benefice. He doth preach to the people their
obedience to the King. He hath abrenunciated the Scottish Covenant, as by law
required, though he never took the same covenant. Sacrament four times a year.
Some (who can conveniently place themselves) do receive the Sacrament in the chancel,
the rest do receive in their seats, all receive reverently and kneeling.
Impington Church, Interior - looking East.
Before Restoration, circa 1870.
Impington Church, Interior - looking West.
Before Restoration, circa 1870.
The tithes are valued at £15 - £16 lately augmented by the impropriators,
the Dean and Chapter, by £36. Holy days have been warned by our minister
and the perambulations observed though not every year. We have a private school
taught by our minister in his house, who is licensed (as we have heard) by the
late Lord's Grace of Canterbury who bringeth his scholars to be catechised in
the church at least once in the week. We have no physician or surgeon. We have
no superstitious ringing of bells and the clerk doth toll the passing bell and
there is commonly a knell presently after the departure."
Mention of Impington at this period occurs in the diary of Samuel Pepys. He
mentions in it that he visited his uncle, Talbot Pepys, at Impington, on several
occasions. Under the date, 15th July, 1661, he writes: "Rode to Impington where
I found my old Uncle sitting all alone, like a man out of the world, he can hardly
see, but in all else he do pretty livily." On another occasion, 4th August, 1661,
he writes: "Lord's Day. Got up and by and by walked into the orchard with my cousin
Roger and there plucked some fruit - To church and had a good plain sermon and
my Uncle Talbot went with us and at our coming in, the country people all rose
with much reverence, and when the parson begins he begins 'Right Worshipful and
dearly beloved etc.' to us." Though the Pepys family continued to reside at Impington
Hall until the beginning of the nineteenth century, no tangible trace of them
remains in the church or churchyard, apart from the numerous entries in the parish
registers of members of their family.
In 1666, we hear that the Plague, which had had such devastating effects in
so many parts of England in the previous year, may have visited Impington. The
following entries appear in the registers during that year. "The daughter of John
Heward buried September 26th. John Heward died Sept. 30th of the Plague it was
feared and he was buried on the moore on the same day by the hands of his wife
and a maid servant." "Mary Heward daughter of the saide John Heward dyed (of the
plague as was supposed) one Tuesdaye night October the ninth and was buried also
in the moore on Oct. 10th by the maide servant." "Mary Everett the daughter of
Christopher Everet dyed (of ye Plague as was supposed) on the 30th October and
was buried the same daye by the hands of hir Grandmother and hir Mother in the
feild nigh unto hir Grandfather's house."
At the beginning of the eighteenth century we have two small items of interest
in connection with the church. The first is an entry in the parish register: "These
are to give notice to home it may consearne that John, a stranger reported to
be a Scotchman was buried in this Parish August 10th 1711." Obviously a Scot,
even though deceased, was of such rarity in this part of the world that his presence
had to be particularly reported. In the year 1715-16, Impington had to share its
Vicar. In that year, John Cory, B.D., Rector of Landbeach, became also Vicar of
Impington, and held the living until his death in 1727. His eldest son, John,
was Vicar of Waterbeach, and succeeded his father as Vicar of Impington, retaining
it until 1746.
The manuscript of Rev. William Cole, now in the British Museum, gives us a
picture of the church and parish towards the close of this century.
"Going into the church on Friday October 15th 1779, on an airing, being a
most heavenly day Mr. Master who has hired the Great Tithes of the Dean and Chapter
of Ely, was adding a little wainscote on each side of the wall as far as the altar
rails extending on both sides, and had a pediment which he took from over a chimney
piece in an house at Cambridge which he hired this year of Emmanuel College and
behind it towards Barnwell, with a design to place it above the wainscote over
the altar and probably may paint the whole: he was removing also 2 old gravestones
in the chancel, or one of them, to be at the head of the other: which I take to
be very wrong and injurious."
"Mr. Pepys was buried last year in a vault under his pew on which occasion
Mrs. Pepys has made an entire new pew of handsome deal wainscote not yet painted.
Mr. Pepys, a brute of a man, left this life at Bath in a manner not expected from
him: for he left his wife a most amiable woman, a Spelman of Norfolk, all his
estate here and in Norfolk at Diss forever. She well deserved it.
I took the opportunity of a fine morning from Milton and though not above
2 miles yet in winter the roads are impracticable." Describing the church on another
visit, he writes: "Against the north wall is an Achievement with these Arms,"
and then follows a description of the Arms of Pepys and Turner. He also records
that in the south window in modern glass-painting are the Arms of the Pepys family.
It is unfortunate that both of these have completely disappeared. At that time
there was a wooden chancel screen, but in 1844 it is stated that the rood screen
was cut up early in the nineteenth century. The work was described as being of
good character. It is possible that some of this woodwork is now incorporated
in the windows in the porch. In 1773, as in many churches, there were boards above
the chancel arch containing the King's Arms and the ten commandments.
Cole also describes Impington Hall as it appeared at this time. "The House
pleased me much and is the best of the sort I ever saw. A noble Hall with 2 Corinthian
Pillars on one side of it is in the centre: on one side a common dining parlour
& Kitchen and on the other an elegant Dining Room and Drawing Room and by
the Hall a most beautiful Salon and Staircase with an open space to the top of
the House with a gallery to which all the bedchambers have entrance the whole
elegantly fitted up and furnished: overloaded with carving and stucco and rather
At the close of the eighteenth century an incident occurred in the parish
which was to achieve more than local fame - the adventure of Elizabeth Woodcock
in the snow in the year 1799.
Mrs. Elizabeth Woodcock, of Impington, attended Cambridge Market on Saturday,
2nd February, and having disposed of her eggs and butter she started to return
home. Her last stopping place was the "Three Tuns" at the top of Castle Hill.
Heavy falls of snow had already occurred when she left there on her horse, having
replenished her flask and herself with brandy. When about halfway home, she was
thrown or fell from her horse and was unable to remount. Numbed with the cold
and much shaken she took shelter under a hawthorn hedge. The snow drifted over
her until she was completely covered. Early next morning she heard the ringing
of a church bell for morning service. She heard voices of passers-by in the distance,
but was unable to attract attention. On the Monday she found an aperture in the
snow above her and made a flag of her red handkerchief which she tied on a stick.
This flag eventually led to her discovery, but another week was to elapse before
it was noticed. On the following Sunday, the Parish Clerk of Impington, William
Munsey, while out walking, saw the flag, discovered Mrs. Woodcock, procured help
and rescued her. She had been eight days buried under the snow in this fashion,
but seems to have been conscious most of the time, as she heard the church bells
on two successive Sundays and a church clock striking the hours.
She did not long survive her adventure. She was taken ill and lingered between
life and death for many weeks, dying on 24th July, 1799, five months and two weeks
after her rescue, at the age of 43. The burial notice in the register is very
full and worth quoting.
"On the eleventh Day of July 1799 died Elizabeth Woodcock wife of Daniel Woodcock
aged 43 years of a lingering Disease in consequence of a confinement under the
snow of nearly eight days and nights, that is to say from Saturday the second
till Sunday ye tenth day of February 1799. For further particulars see Thomas
Verney Oke's Pamphlet.
John Holme of St. Peter's College, Curate
Thomas Branch Parish Clarke."
Dame Elizabeth Woodcock (see notes).
Below this entry there is added in another hand.
"She was in a state of intoxication when she was lost. N.B. her death was
accelerated (to say the least) by spirituous liquors afterwards taken - procured
by the donations of numerous visitors."
Numerous engravings of Elizabeth Woodcock were published at the time, and
one of them is shown here. The house in which she lived still exists, opposite
the Baptist Church. A memorial was placed at the scene of the incident, but has
since been moved to the edge of the field bordering the Histon - Cambridge railway
In 1805, Mrs. Anne Pepys (mentioned earlier in connection with the Cole MSS.)
died, and Impington Hall passed to a junior branch of the family, the Pine-Coffins,
of Devon. In the Charity Coal Book of the parish it is stated that in 1829 the
Rev. C. Pine-Coffin, of Eastwood House, Barnstaple, was life-time owner of Impington
Hall. In 1806 the land in Impington was enclosed. One portion of 46 acres on the
Cambridge Road was awarded to the Rev. William Pearce. Several years later he
decided to sell this land and it was bought by Thomas Cawcutt of Boxworth. The
name of the purchaser will identify the land to the inhabitants of Impington as
the Cawcutts farm area now belonging to Messrs. Chivers & Sons. The new owners
of Impington Hall, in 1805, were not to enter into possession of it undisputed.
A man by the name of Panton claimed, in 1807, that he was Lord of the Manor of
Impington, but as he made similar claims in connection with several other manors
in the county, the claim does not seem to have been a serious one or unduly disturbing
to the owners. By 1872, Impington Hall was in the possession of Charles Bamford,
Esq., for on the 16th November of that year he offered it for sale, giving as
his reason that he was leaving the country. The catalogue of the sale is a magnificent
publication, containing an engraving of the Hall from the terrace as it was at
that time. The Hall then came into the possession of Mr. Caldwell. At the beginning
of the century the owner was Mr. W. A. Macfarlane-Grieve, and later, Mr. Morey-Weale.
In 1926 it became the property of Messrs. Chivers & Sons, and is now uninhabited.
The Church about 1877 - 78.
About that time an extract was printed from the Presentment made by the churchwardens
of the parish of Impington at the Visitation of the Lord Bishop of Ely in the
year 1869, showing the state of the church at that time.
"Is your church and the tower or spire, and the furniture, in good repair
in all its parts, viz. covering walls, windows, doors, floors, seats, desks, pulpit
and font? Is it kept free from dust, filth and everything noisesome and unseemly
? No. The church is in very bad repair both inside and out. The roofs are leaky,
the floor is uneven, the nave is blocked up with high pews, birds have ready access
to the interior of the church, which causes it to be in a very filthy condition,
and totally unfit for the reception of worshippers."
"Is the chancel . . . and who is bound to repair the same ? -The chancel is
in very bad repair in all its parts, the floor has sunk down in many places and
the seats and woodwork generally are decayed. The Dean and Chapter of Ely are
bound to repair the chancel, but its present state is good evidence that nothing
has been done for many years."
"Is the communion table and its covering and the flagon chalice, patine, linen
cloth and other furniture in good order ? Is proper bread and wine provided for
the communion ?-The communion table is rotten and decayed, its covering is mouldy,
moth-eaten and defaced by the excrements of birds which are seldom cleared away.
Proper bread and wine are provided by the churchwardens." '`Are the Bible, Common
Prayer Books, surplice, furniture of the desk and pulpit, the bells . . . parish
chest and all other goods belonging to the church in good order ? Have you a table
of the degrees within which marriage is prohibited set up in the church ? -The
Bible is torn, dogs-eared and defaced, the Book of Common Prayer belonging to
the desk has become worn out and useless, and its place is now supplied by one
from the free seats which is not in a satisfactory condition. The surplice is
usually very dirty as it is only washed once a year. There are three bells but
only two are ever used and the woodwork etc. supporting them is in bad repair.
There is no table of degrees of marriage."
This terrible state of affairs did not last for long. Within the next few
years great changes were to take place in the church. In 1878 the Rev. Charles
Crosse became Vicar, and the work of the complete restoration of the church, within
and without, and of all its furnishings, was begun. A glance at the photographs
of the church before and after restoration will give a better idea of the tremendous
improvement effected than any description in words. All the old box pews were
swept away. The ugly heating stove in the centre of the nave disappeared. The
floor was renewed and the chancel and sanctuary were raised and tiled. New pews
and pulpit were installed. Much work was also done on the outside of the church
and tower. The improvement in the old timbered porch on the south side is very
noticeable in the photographs. Since that day improvements have continued to be
made in the church and its furniture. The church was lit by gas for the first
time in 1926. The bells were rehung on a new frame in the same year, and the new
organ, built by Millers of Cambridge, was dedicated in 1934. Many private gifts
have ensured that the present church is now adequately furnished in a seemly fashion.
The neglect and decay, which the churchwardens of 1869 brought to the notice of
the Bishop, is now a thing of the past. The churchwardens of to-day could reply
that our church is in good condition, adequately furnished in all respects and
that various schemes are even now in hand for its further beautification.
In the year of the church restoration, 1879, we can get a glimpse of living
conditions from items mentioned in the churchwardens' account book (which runs
from 1843-84). On 25th October, 1879, this entry appears: "Cleaning Church 1 woman
4½ days - 4/6." A shilling a day! But on the other hand, the rent of one
of the cottages which belonged to the Church was £2 a year, and one could
buy two large doormats for 5s. 6d.
From 1882 until 1916 the Rev. Dennis Hall was Vicar, an incumbency of 34 years.
When he resigned, Impington was temporarily united with Histon, but again began
its separate history in 1921, when Rev. H. G. Hooton became Vicar. Until this
time Impington still retained some of its Glebe land, amounting to over 60 acres
in the parish. 157 acres had been previously sold in 1890 on condition that the
purchasers should pay in perpetuity £36 towards the Vicars' stipend. In 1918
the remainder of the glebe was sold and the money invested for the benefice income.
An interesting comparison of money values appears in the records of this sale.
In 1946, when the present vicarage site was purchased, comprising less than one-quarter
of an acre, the price paid was £380. For the same sum, in 1918, a purchaser
secured over 6 acres: about twenty-four times the amount of land for the same
price. On St. Andrew's Day, 1937, the first recorded sum of money was collected
towards the New Vicarage Fund. Throughout the war years the Fund steadily grew
until a site was purchased in 1946. Building operations commenced in 1948, and
in August, 1949, for the first time on record, a Vicar of Impington was living
in a vicarage in the parish. By the valiant efforts of the parishioners, and the
generosity of the Church Commissioners and the Diocese of Ely, the whole cost
of about £3,000 has been met, apart from a sum of about £200 (December,
1950). F. L. Unwin Ltd., of Histon, were the builders, and the architect was Mr.
H. C. Hughes, of Cambridge.
During all these years Impington has continued to develop and increase. The
population figures, given previously, bear witness to this growth. It is no longer
a small sleepy village, but a busy industrious place with several factories and
works to give employment to its inhabitants. It still, however, retains much of
its rural charm and character, and the greater part of its acreage is still given
up to farming, agriculture and orchards. Impington has nearly a thousand years
of recorded history, from the time when the Prior and Convent of Ely took their
first interest in its spiritual well-being in A.D. 991 until the present year
Part of Impington Old Village, 1950.
1951. Throughout those years a sacred place has remained in the centre
of our parish, where the faithful have come to worship God. Whatever changes there
may have been, and there have been many, that sacred place has stood there to
remind the people of Impington of all that is best and finest in life. To-day,
the bells of the church ring out as they have done through the centuries, reminding
us that there is after all only the one worthwhile motive in life, which should
penetrate every part of our being and every aspect of living, inspiring every
thought and action - the worship and praise of Almighty God.
Dedication of the Church
The usual dedication is to St. Andrew, Apostle and Martyr. Only in one solitary
instance is there the suggestion that there might be another dedication-to St.
Etheldreda. Cole, in his MSS., comments: "Question if the Church of Impington
is not rather dedicated to St. Audrey or Etheldreda than to St. Andrew," and then
quotes a document in Latin which contains the words "Ecclesia S. Etheldredae de
Vicars of Impington
- 1247 William is Vicar of Impington.
- 1316 Warin dies.
- 1316 Nicholas de Walsham
- 1349 John Grym, of Trumpington, Priest
- 1351 John Walkelyn, Priest.
- 1355 John Noble, of Walton, Chaplain.
- 1363 John de Schelford.
- 1363 John Attechirche.
- 1392-3 Robert Say, of Ely, Chaplain.
- 1397 Rd. Fowler.
- 1397 John Crowle.
- 1399 Rd. Attehall.
- 1412 David Jonisson.
- 1412 Robert Davey.
- 1447-8 Rd. Connote.
- 1464 Will Nathan, Chaplain.
- 1503 Name blank.
- 1513 James Hutton.
- 1515 Will Nele or Neel resigns.
- 1543 Thos. Fayrehare is Vicar.
- 1547 Adam Rycardson seems to be Vicar.
- 1561 John Lakyn is Vicar.
- 1562 William Chapman, Cleric, B.A.
- 1573 Robert Andrews, Cleric, M.A.
- 1577 Robert Brumsted.
- 1588 John Blythe, M.A.
- 1617 Rd. Blake.
- 1625 Robert Shilborne is Vicar.
- 1631 Rd. Smallwood is Vicar.
- 1639 Thos. Wyborow, M.A.
- 1669 Robt. Goodrick, M.A.
- 1671 Will Sampson, M.A.
- 1672 Richard Neech, M.A.
- 1677 Anthony Spinedge.
- 1679 John Love.
- 1680 David Lloyd.
- 1686 Francis Browne, B.A.
- 1696 Charles Lambe.
- 1703 Henry Lambe.
- 1716 John Cory, S.T.B.
- 1727 John Cory, M.A., on death of patris sui.
- 1746 Robert Hankison, M.A.
- 1750 Dearing Jones, M.A.
- 1756 Will Norris, M.A.
- 1774 Edward Wilson, M.A.
- 1784 Samuel Hawson, M.A.
- 1792 John Ferraby, B.A.
- 1810 Will Wade, B.D.
- 1823 Lawrence Palk Barker.
- 1825 Rd. Duffield.
- 1832 Edward Bushby, B.D.
- 1878 Charles Henry Crosse, M.A.
- 1882 Dennis Hall, M.A.
- 1917 William C. Cooke, also Vicar of Histon.
- 1921 Henry G. Hooton, M.A.
- 1932 Lewis Walker, M.A.
- 1937 Percival Frederick Kingaby.
- 1946 John Cook, M.A., B.D.
The Church of Impington
The Patronage of Impington.
Earl Brithnoth granted Impington to the Prior and Convent of Ely in A.D. 991.
Between 1045-55 it is recorded that Edward the Confessor confirmed this gift.
When Ely became a diocese in 1107, Hervey was appointed the first Bishop. He drew
up a charter which, while retaining the major part of the income of the monastery
of Ely to himself, gave to the monastery certain estates from which they could
derive income. One of these was Impington, which thus remained with the monastery.
The purpose of the appropriation of Impington to the monastery was, according
to Eustachius, Bishop of Ely, 1198-1215, for the transcribing of books for their
library at Ely. This was confirmed in the following century by Pope Gregory IX
- that the Prior and Convent of Ely should have the "Ecclesiam de Impetune." The
monastery had the care of the spiritual needs of the parish and did this by appointing
some priest to be in charge, called, in the list of Vicars on several occasions,
In 1538, during the period of the Reformation, Henry VIII decided that the
larger monasteries in the land were to be dissolved. The monastery at Ely was
more fortunate than others. It was reconstituted as a cathedral church with a
dean and chapter. Their property also must have been safeguarded, because Impington
at least remained in the hands of the Dean and Chapter, who now became patrons
of the living. In 1543 they probably made their first appointment. Thomas Fayrehare
became Vicar in that year. The title "Vicar" was once more revived after a period
of exactly 300 years.
The patronage remained in the hands of the Dean and Chapter until 1870, when
by an Order in Council it was given by them to the owner of Impington Hall in
exchange for the living of Pirton in Hertfordshire. By 1916 the patronage had
passed to the Archdeacon of Ely, in whose gift it now is.
The church has a chancel, nave, a fourteenth-century Perpendicular tower and
a half-timbered south porch. The chancel archway is fourteenth-century and was
widened and made higher in 1879. The walls of the chancel contain an interesting
feature described thus by Cole: "the two outside walls of the Chancel are made
up of two arches with a small sort of Pilaster in the middle of each of them."
The east window is Perpendicular and the two windows on the south side are Decorated
style. There was formerly a roodscreen which was reached by a staircase which
still exists on the south side of the nave. There was a quatrefoil light on the
staircase, but it is now blocked.
The nave is Perpendicular, the roof being supported by heavy old oak tie-beams.
Traces of painted decorations can still be seen on them. The niche, at the side
of the window nearest the pulpit, is canopied and contains some beautiful work.
It is fifteenth century. There was formerly a Jacobean pulpit in the church, but
this was removed at the restoration.
The south porch, which is half-timbered, was completed much later than the
other portions of the church. It is fifteenth-century work with hanging tracery
and side-screens, and portions of the woodwork have roses carved on them. The
porch was much restored in 1879. West of the porch there are the remains of an
early window, possibly thirteenth-century, and reused when the nave was built.
At the restoration the builder was ordered to restore this window, but the work
was never done. At the same time, the north doorway was walled up. Another omission
on the part of the builder in the work of restoration was in connection with the
vestry. His instructions were: "The walls of Vestry and Organ chamber to be constructed
of brickwork faced externally with rubble masonry to match old work." These instructions
were only carried out as far as the east wall and window of the vestry were concerned.
The other walls are plain brick, and spoil the whole appearance of the north aspect
of the church.
Most of the carved work is modern, but a few old pew-ends remain on the seats
at the back of the church. There are built into the south chancel wall three stones
with Norman zig-zag mouldings, a small Norman cushion capital with a head attached,
and a thirteenth-century capital, all that now remains of the Norman edifice which
previously occupied the site. In the same wall are two sundial marks, one of them
There are two of these, but by far the most outstanding is the St. Christopher
on the north wall. It is a fine representation belonging to the fifteenth century.
It is contained within a pleasing scroll border. As usual, the Saint is wading
towards the east. He bears the Holy Child on his left shoulder and carries a large
staff in his right hand. The Child holds an orb with cross and pennon in his left
hand, while the right is raised in blessing. Round the Saint's feet fishes are
depicted and to the right is the hermit standing in front of his chapel, which
is surmounted by a timber bell-cote. The ground of the picture is green with foliage
pattern. The painting is one of the most notable examples of the subject in the
Eastern Counties and is unusually complete. Cole does not mention this painting,
but Paley, in his Ecclesiologist Guide, 1844, says: "Some highly interesting
fresco paintings, one of a gigantic S. Christopher, have recently been laid bare."
On the east wall of the chancel to the south of the window is an interesting
and unusual painting. In the centre is a canopied niche with queer background,
but no traces of a figure. On either side are small figures, a bearded man, probably
an apostle, on the south, and a crowned female figure on the north, while above
are two demi-angels holding shields, that on the north with the arms of Ely, the
other defaced. The canopy is surmounted by large crochetted pinnacles and above
there is a tapestry design.
The Burgoyne Brass.
On the floor under the tower there is a very fine brass of the time of Henry
VII. This brass is beautifully engraved with the effigies of John Burgoyne, his
wife and children. Seven sons are under him and two daughters under his wife.
The male figure has a tabard over his armour, on which the arms of the Burgoynes
are placed. The lady has a pedimental head-dress and a heraldic mantle. According
to H. W. Macklin, The Brasses of England, the fact that the husband's arms
are omitted and those of the lady only appear on her mantle, is a sign of a late
brass. In addition to the border inscription, there are evangelistic symbols at
the corners. In the British Museum there is a large volume containing full-size
rubbings of sixteenth-century brasses. The Burgoyne brass is contained amongst
them. There is much more detail than is now visible. The tabard of the male figure
is coloured red. The detail of one of the shields, now practically unrecognisable,
in the corner of the slab is produced in great detail. The shield has also a red
background. There are three birds in line along the top. The lower section is
divided in three parts, each part containing a leopard. Cole describes the other
The brass was formerly placed in the aisle near to the chancel step. It was
moved to its present position in 1879. The inscription round the border
runs: Hic jacent Johannes Burgoyn Armiger et | Mgareta Uxor ejus qui quidem Johannes
obiit | decio vi Die Mens: Octobr Aº Dñi Millimo | quingentesimo quinto:
et predicta Margareta o- | biit Die Mens Anno domini Millmo quingentesimo ...
quorum.... "Here lie John Burgoyn, Esquire, and Margareta his wife, which same
John died the sixteenth day of the month of October, 1505, and the aforesaid Margareta
died on --- day of month, 15--, of whom . . ." (the rest of the border inscription
is missing). Palmer records that according to her Will, she died in June, 1528.
The Church Plate.
The chalice and paten are interesting because they bear witness
to the link between the church and the Pepys family. Both are in silver and inscribed:
"Impington Town in Cambridgeshire. 1713," and bear the Pepys arms joined
Rubbing of the Burgoyne Brass.
with that of the Turner family. There is another paten with the date 1823,
also in silver, and a modern silver flagon dated 1918.
The tower contains three bells. The treble was probably made in 1604 and bears
a shield similar to those found on bells in many parts of Kent and Sussex. It
has an inscription: "Sancte Petre ora pro nobis." The second bell bears on the
shoulder the Apocalyptic emblems of the Evangelists in the following order: The
Bull of St. Luke, The Angel of St. Matthew, The Eagle of St. John and The Lion
of St. Mark. The conception of these mythical figures is very grand and the execution
admirable. It is inscribed: "Sancta Katerina ora pro nobis." The tenor, bearing
the words "R.G. made me 1652" (R.G. was Robert Gurney), became cracked and was
recast when the bells were renovated and rehung in 1925.
Our parish is fortunate in its possession of a continuous set of registers
from 1562. The first six are written.
No. 1 is a thin parchment book which covers a period from 1562 to 1695, with
the exception of the entries which appear in register No. 3. (This contains the
records of the Commonwealth period, 1653-62. The original register was discarded
in favour of a civil record, but was restored to use later.) The title of this
first register is: "The register book of the parish of Impington wherein are set
down the names of all that have been baptised maried and buried from the fifthe
yeare of the reign of our gracious Queene Elizabeth which was in the year of our
Lord one thousand five hundred sixtie and two." It would appear that, under the
laws of the realm for several years during which this register was in use, sheep's
wool had to be used for burial purposes as the following entry shows: "James Logsdon
lately died was buried on the 22nd of September and the said Everett and Isabell
Joilks made a oath the 28th instant before Roger Pepys Esq. one of His Majesty's
Justices of the Peace for the County that the said James Logsdon was not buried
but in sheeps wooll only according to the Act etc." This law appears to have remained
in force for a number of years. The last affidavit is quoted with the final entry
in this register, 1692. The purpose of the Act was probably to encourage the sheep
farming industry in England.
No. 2 is a small original paper register dated 1557-98, and contains entries
of Baptism, Marriages and Burials which are also included in register No. 1. It
is entitled: "Mariages, Buriells & Christenings in the tyme of me Robart Brumsted
Vicar of Impington as ffollowethe." The entries are in Latin.
No. 3, a parchment book, containing a civil register for the years of the
Commonwealth, 1653-62. On the first page appears the title: "The Register Booke
for Births, Marriages and Deathes Anno Dom 1653 November. Henrie Hodilow being
chosen the parish Register for the Towne of Impington by the parishioners, here
is approved of by and sworne for the due execution of his office this ffifth of
December 1653 before me-Talbot Pepys." Marriages at this period were performed
by the local magistrate, as the following entry, typical of all the others, shows.
"William Hovell of Stretham and Faith Annis of Landbeach Widow weare after proofe
upon oath of ye parties before me and after they had joined hands and plainie
and distinctly pronounced the words in the act of parliament of the 24th of August
last declared to be from henceforth husband and wife. By me Talbot Pepys 27 December
No. 4 is a parchment book and is a continuation of register No. 1. It covers
the years 1695-1743. On the inside of the cover it states: "A Register book for
the Parish of Impington to begin at Christmas in the year of our Lord 1695."
No. 5 is a continuation of register No. 4, for the years 1745-84, but only
one marriage is entered in this register. A separate register for marriages was
begun in 1754.
No. 6 contains records of Baptisms and Burials only for the years 1784-1812,
and is a continuation of register No. 5. Inside the cover it states: "Impington
near Cambridge 1784 Edward Wilson M.A. Fellow of Christ College Vicar. J. Maule
Curate 12 July 1784 quitted the 25th December 1798." After the last entry there
are these words: "Hence pass to printed forms according to Act of Parliament."
To a former Vicar, Rev. Dennis Hall, the church is indebted for a careful
transcript of the written registers, in four volumes. These were presented to
the church in 1935 by the President of Queens' College. They were found when a
house was being demolished to make way for the new buildings of Queens' College.
Fox's Acts and Monuments.
In the church chest there is a three-volume folio edition of this work, printed
in London, 1641. In an inventory of 1911 the Rev. Dennis Hall gives the following
account of these volumes.
"Originally these volumes were chained to a block in the Chancel. In course
of time they became detached from their moorings. A former Sexton named Muncey
took possession of them and carried them to his house where they became terribly
mutilated. The present Vicar made enquiry about these books which were spoken
of by those who remembered them as Fox's Book of Martyrs. The above is the proper
title of them. The Vicar traced them to a granary on a neighbouring farm where
they had been deposited for several years. It need hardly be said that they were
in a most filthy condition by the accumulation of dust and cobwebs. The Vicar
carefully cleaned and collated them inserting blank leaves where pages were missing.
By the help of Mr. Caldwell who was the then owner of Impington Hall, the volumes
were rebound, using all the brass ornamentation that remained of the original
binding-one chain only remains and it is a beautiful specimen of medieval iron
Burgoine's and Pepys Charity. - According to the Printed Parliamentary Report
of the Former Commissioners for Inquiry concerning Charities dated 1837, it is
recorded that in a Parliamentary Return dated 1786, Richard Pepys, the period
of whose death was unknown, gave £100, then in the hands of Mrs. Pepys and
producing £5 per annum for the purchase of coal, and that according to Parliamentary
Returns of 1786, John Burgoine, the period of whose death was unknown, gave £75,
in the hands of Mrs. Pepys, but that the purpose of the gift was not mentioned.
In 1837 the income of the combined Charity was expended in coals retailed at reduced
prices to the poor. This Charity is still administered, and the Trustees are:
The Vicar of Impington and two representatives appointed by Impington Parish Council.
In 1920 a mural tablet was placed on the North wall of the Church, in the
recess where the old North doorway was blocked up at the restoration in 1879,
containing the names of the men of Impington who gave their lives in the first
World War, 1914-18. A framed parchment now stands on the shelf below this tablet
with the names of those who gave their lives in the War of 1939-45.
The Mysterious Gravestone
Facing this page is a photograph of an old engraving of a headstone of a grave.
The inscription reads:
A. T. H. TH. ISST.
ONERE POS. ET
H. CLAUD. COS. TER. TRIP
I.N. GT. ONAS DO.
T. I. A. N. E
Underneath the engraving are the following words:
Published according to Act of Parliament 1756.
To the Penetrating Genius's of Oxford, Cambridge, Eaton, Westminster and the
learned Society of Antiquarians.
This Curious Inscription is humbly Dedicated.
Printed for J. Bowles at No. 43 in Cornhill and Carrington Bowles No. 69 in
St. Paul Churchyard London.
The inscription on the stone, without having regard to the stops, capital
letters or division of the words, easily reads as follows:
"Beneath this stone reposeth Claud, Coster, Tripe-seller of Impington as doth
his consort Jane."
No one of this name was ever buried in Impington churchyard. While the possibility
remains that the stone may have been in another churchyard (it says only that
"Claud" came from Impington, not that he was buried there), it is much more likely
that the inscription is a pure invention. That is the opinion of William Cole.
He regards it as a malicious invention and condemns it in no measured terms, as
this extract from his manuscript shows, when he is commenting on the inscription.
"The above counterfeit Roman inscription has been thought so witty in Ridicule
of Antiquarianism that it has been again retailed in that sink of slander and
secret lying history . . . for 1769." One is reminded of a similar incident in
the Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens, where Mr. Pickwick finds a stone
also with a puzzling inscription, which turns out, according to his enemie and
detractors, simply to read, "Bill Stumps his mark."
The Mysterious Gravestone.
As already recorded, the Rev. Thomas Wyborow had a private school in the parish
in 1664, but there is no other mention of any educational efforts until 1846.
In that year a site for a school was sold by the Rev. C. Pine-Coffin. The school
was built opposite the church. The building still remains though it is now a private
dwelling-house. The purpose of the school is set forth in the title-deed. It was
to be "used as and for a school for the education of poor persons in the Parish
of Impington and as a residence for the Schoolmaster and Schoolmistress and for
no other purpose, which school shall always be in union with and conducted upon
the principles and in furtherance of the ends and designs of the Incorporated
National Society for promoting the education of the Poor in the principles of
the Established Church." The school remained here until 1880, when the building
was purchased by Mr. Caldwell, of Impington Hall. The money was used to purchase
land in Broad Close, now School Lane, and a new school was erected there. In 1882
the school premises were leased to the Local School Board and later to the Education
Authority. When Impington Village College was opened in part of what were formerly
the grounds of Impington Hall, in 1939, the school premises in School Lane were
no longer required by the Education Authority. But the building was not long out
of use for educational purposes, for in 1943 a Nursery School was opened and is
still functioning there.
The Infants and Juniors now receive their education at the Histon Junior School
and the Seniors at the Village College, which draws its pupils also from a number
of surrounding villages. The Village College also contains an Adult wing and caters
for Further Education.
This used to consist of two small cottages, the rent of which was paid into
church funds. In 1917 these cottages were sold and the money invested. The interest
from the investment provides an income for the Church Repairs Fund.
Impington Church, Interior, 1950.
Impington Church, Interior, 1950.
References and Bibliography
For the student and those who would care to make a more detailed study of
the history of the parish and the church of Impington, the following references
will be found useful. The sources referred to were used in the compilation of
- British Museum.-(1) The Cole Manuscript (Additional MSS. 5805, 5821, 5837,
5846, 5849). (2) Knights' Monumental Brasses, 1500-96. (3) References also in
- Cambridge University Library, Anderson Room.-Documents 44, 580, 705, 1382,
- Muniment Room of the Bishop of Ely.-There are several documents here relating
to Impington and some have been printed in Ely Episcopal Records, 1891.
- Muniment Room of Christ's College, Cambridge.-Court Rolls from 1581, leases
and other documents relating to the Manor of Burgoyne's.
- Muniment Room of the Shire Hall, Cambridge.-There are 13 documents here mostly
leases of land in Impington. There is a Court Roll of 1597 and the Inclosure Award
and Map, 1806.
- The Ely Diocesan Office.-Deeds of Impington National School.
- The Parish Church.-Registers and documents.
- Cambridge Antiquarian Society Publications, including The Church Bells
of Cambridgeshire, J. J. Raven, 1881; Place-names of Cambridgeshire, Rev.
W. Skeat, 1901, The Vetus Liber Archidiaconi Eliensis and other volumes
in this series.
- Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire Archaeological Society Publications.-Vols.
1, 2, 5 and 6.
- Chappell, E.-Eight Generations of the Pepys Family, 1500 1800. Conybeare,
E.-History of Cambridgeshire, etc.
- Cox, J. C.-English Church Furniture.
- Evelyn-White, C. H.-Churches of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely; Domesday
- Farrar, W.-Feudal Cambridgeshire.
- Gough. -Itinerary of Edward I.
- Hughes, T. McKenny. -Report on Arbury Camp.
- Lysons, D. and S.-Magna Britannia, Vol. II, Part I.
- Macklin, H. W.-The Brasses of England.
- Paley, F. A.-Ecclesiologists' Guide, 1844.
- Palmer, W. M. [Edit.].-Monumental Inscriptions and Coats of Arms from
- Palmer and Saunders.-Documents relating to the Cambridgeshire Villages,
Cambridge University Press.
- Pepys, Samuel.-Diary.
- Report on the Charities of Cambridgeshire, 1839.
- Victoria County History-Cambridgeshire, 2 vols.
IMPINGTON PARISH CHURCH
||Holy Communion, 8 a.m. every Sunday and 12 noon 2nd and 4th Sunday.
||Mattins, 11 a.m.
||Evensong, 6.30 p.m.
||Sunday School: Parish Room, 10.15 a.m.; Church, 2.30 p.m.
||Holy Communion every Wednesday, 10 a.m. (except when there is a Saint's Day
in the week).
|Saints' Days and Holy Day
||Holy Communion, 7 a.m. and 10 a.m.
||Rev. John Cook, M.A., B.D., Impington Vicarage, Tel. Histon 405.
||Mr. C. Littlewood, 11, Impington Lane, Histon.
Mr. R. Osborne, 40, Shirley Road, Histon.
||Mr. W. F. Robinson, Truro House, Cambridge Road, Impington.
||Dr. J. Dean, Orchard House, Cottenham Road, Histon.
<> <> <>
Other Places of Worship in the Vicinity (contributed).
HISTON PARISH CHURCH
St. Andrew with St. Etheldreda
Formerly there were two parish churches, but the Church of St. Etheldreda
was pulled down by the lord of the Manor about 1600. In 1874 many fragments of
this church were purchased and used in the restoration of the chancel of St. Andrew's.
The main building is thirteenth-century, though stones from an earlier Norman
building (about A.D. 1100) can be seen built into the walls.
The worship to-day is purely of an evangelical nature. Prominence is given
to the preaching of the soul-saving gospel of our Lord Jesus. In addition to Morning
and Evening Prayer and Holy Communion on Sundays, there are informal devotional
meetings in the week.
The present Vicar is the Rev. P. R. Knight, the churchwardens, Messrs. C.
Lawson and G. W. Hodge, and the clerk and sexton, Mr. H. Muncey.
HISTON BAPTIST CHURCH
Sunday Worship: 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m.
Sunday School: 10.15 a.m. and 2.15 p.m.
On 26th May, 1858, a little group of people formerly connected with the Wesleyan
Methodist Church met and resolved to form themselves into a Baptist Church and
build a chapel. They met for five months in the club-room of the "Rose and Crown,"
and the Rev. Joseph Wisby conducted the Sunday Services. On 14th September, 1858,
the chapel on the Green was formally opened for Public Worship. The Church consisted
of nineteen members, who elected three deacons, Messrs. Stephen Chivers, James
Burkett and Wm. Chapman. A visit during this time of Rev. C. H. Spurgeon gave
a great impetus to the work. The coming of the Rev. Robert Smith as Minister in
1895 was associated with a long period of advance.
The present chapel was opened on Easter Monday, 1900, and enlarged eight years
later. The School Buildings were opened in 1902.
<> <> <>
HISTON METHODIST CHURCH
The first Wesleyan Church in the village, now part of the Co-operative Society
Stores, was erected in 1822, comparatively few years after John Wesley's death.
and was the mother church of the Connection in Cambridgeshire. The
present premises, officially known as Matthews' Memorial Church, were built
in the High Street in 1896.
The Society, as a Methodist body is called, is part of the Cottenham Methodist
Circuit, and is under the supervision of the Circuit Minister (in 1951, Reverend
J. Courtnay-Jacobs) assisted by Local Preachers, Society Stewards, etc. The Church
and School rooms were enlarged in 1928, and a modern two manual organ was installed
in 1938. The word "Wesleyan" was dropped from the title at the Methodist Union
<> <> <>
THE SALVATION ARMY
The Salvation Army commenced its work in Histon in 1892 and is at present
under the command of Captain O. Bedson and Lieutenant H. Harris. In addition to
the Gospel Meetings held each Sunday, a musical programme is given every Saturday
night, and open-air meetings are a feature and enjoyed by many people in the villages.
The Band and Songster Brigade are conducted by Bandmaster K. Carmichael, and render
invaluable service to the Corps. Other local officers include: Corps Sergeant
Major, V. Willson; Treasurer, J. Milne; Secretary, R. Foster; Recruiting Sergeant,
M. Nimmo. Young People's Sergeant Major, Mrs. Welch, supervises the work amongst
the children, assisted by Singing Company Leader, E. Dant; Sunbeam Leader, M.
Nimmo; Young People's Legion Secretary, Mrs. Trundley; and Treasurer, L. Smith.
The Salvation Army is seeking to lead men and women to God, waging a war with
sin and evil in an endeavour to establish "Peace on earth and Goodwill to men"
through Jesus Christ the only Saviour.
Printed in Great Britain at the Works of
W. HEFFER & SONS LTD., CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND
This reproduction (in paper/electronic form) produced
by Denis W Payne and Alan Cornell, Impington, Cambridge 1998
This electronic form produced by Denis W Payne, Impington,